Saturday, March 7, 2009

Blacksburg to Houston: Day One

Today was the first day of my eventually-cross-country move! My Honda Pilot is really coming in handy. I had to pack for the next six months. The car is pretty full because I'm bringing all my (warm weather) clothes, maybe a few too many pairs of shoes, and all the other random stuff I think I might need. My car is big enough, so why not?! I feel sorry for the people who are flying.

I started out from home this morning and drove to Birmingham, AL. It took longer than expected because I got stuck in traffic near Chattanooga for at least an hour and a half. I wish I were doing this trip over more days (and with a friend) so that I'd have more time to stop at random places. My one spontaneous stop of the day was in Tennessee where I saw a sign for "Cheese Farm and Store" or something like that. And I love cheese. So I had to stop. It was a cute little place, seemingly in the middle of no where (which I guess makes sense... that's where the cows are!). There were lots of free samples, and the two women working in the shop were really friendly. There were big windows in the store, looking into where the cheese-making actually occurs, but nothing was happening while I was there. I ended up getting three cheeses: sharp white cheddar, colby, and buttermilk. The buttermilk cheese was so good (yes of course I sampled it) - mild with a slightly creamier feel than cheddar, though not actually creamy.

I finally got to Birmingham around 8:30 pm (central time). I'm staying with some family friends. They were our neighbors in Blacksburg when I was growing up, and they have always been so good to me and my parents. They moved to Birmingham a few years ago to be closer to family, and we miss them a lot on our street. I'm glad they are conveniently right on my route! They served me a delicious dinner and have been wonderful hosts.

Tomorrow I will be driving to Biloxi, MS, and staying with a high school friend there. I love knowing people all over the place!



Things I learned about Tennessee today:
1. It is bigger than it looks
2. It has lots of pine trees
3. It has many towns whose names are normally associated with another state or country (Philadelphia, Athens, Charleston, Cleveland)
4. The Chattanooga area is really pretty!!



Here are some pictures from today!

Cheese!


Cheese-making


View from the cheese shop


Pretty mountains, ugly traffic jam


7 comments:

  1. Existing without the answers to the difficulties you’ve sorted out through this guide is a critical case, as well as the kind which could have badly affected my entire career if I had not discovered your web site.

    ----------------------
    Tv bracket installation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Therefore, your tale could be watched by behance.net/ all the receivers which you included. Click Here Lastly, snapchat updates you concerning the Download Snapchat - APK Download For PC, Android condition of your snap. You will certainly be Snapchat App instantaneously upgraded Whether Snapchat Download your catch is being seen, responded or the receivers screenshot your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The following step is to return to Kodi Download App the residence display where the attachments heading is located. Here That will certainly raise the display below. Select Program add-ons.Kodi As soon as the wizard is set up, you will see it listed below. Once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. visit this site right here Hermes Dolabuy check out this site aaa replica bags like it Dolabuy Fendi

    ReplyDelete